The eyes play a crucial role in helping us complete various tasks. As we use them on a daily basis, eyes can end up feeling tired and start aching. To make matters worse, the proliferation of screens in today’s world has increased people’s risk of developing weak eyesight and other vision problems.
This is because most people perform daily tasks that can negatively affect eye health. For instance, most people work on computer screens that can damage the eyes. Besides work, people often use different gadgets and digital devices for entertainment purposes. On the other hand, reading without breaks and driving for long hours can also cause eye disorders.
So, it is important that you take precautions to maintain eye health. Here are a few tips for maintaining good eyesight.
- Eat Healthily
- It is impossible to achieve health if you are not filling your plate with the right things. Make sure your diet contains enough zinc, vitamins C and E, omega-3 fatty acids, and lutein. These nutrients can significantly help in reducing the risk of age-related eye conditions such as cataracts or macular degeneration.
- To get this nutrition inside your body, start eating a diet that contains oily fish like tuna and salmon, green and leafy vegetables like kale, collards, and spinach, protein-rich items like beans, eggs, and nuts, as well as citrus fruits like oranges. Pork and oysters can also help enhance your eyesight.
- Use Protective Gear
- According to a few studies, an estimated 2.5 million people suffer from eye injuries every year. This makes it incredibly important to use some sort of eyewear to protect your eyes. No matter where you go, make sure you grab protective eyewear or safety glasses before stepping out of the house.
- Not only do you need to avoid injuries, but you must also protect your eyes from the harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays of the sun. UV exposure can increase your chances of developing disorders like cataracts and macular degeneration. Make sure you invest in a good pair of sunglasses that can block around 99% of UVA and UVB rays.
- Take Frequent Breaks from the Screen
- It is extremely important to give your eyes some rest by avoiding screens. Ideally, you should follow the 20-20-20 rule of taking a break at work. This suggests that you look at something 20 feet away from your computer for 20 seconds after every 20 minutes at a screen.
- This way, you also increase your chances of blinking more, which moistens and rehydrates your eyes. If you work at a computer screen for long hours, make sure you shift your eyes away from the screen from time to time in order to let them relax.
It is extremely important to protect your eyes from damage. However, most people forget to take proper care of their eyes, and the excessive use of screens exacerbates this. Make sure you follow our tips to maintain and improve your eye health.