For a very long time, there has been a debate about whether you should wear contact lenses, glasses, or both. The use of contact lenses has grown since the past few years, especially with its different color features; however, some people still believe that could cause long time harmful effects to your eyes. If you are stuck in the middle of making a crucial decision about what you should wear, this article might help you with making the right decision.
Contact lenses are circular translucent pieces made of silicone hydrogel. They help form an image of a particular object by focusing on the light rays of the object. Mentioned below are the advantages and disadvantages of wearing lenses:
Advantages of Lenses
- Contact lenses come in different shapes and color so you can order or purchase customized lenses
- Lenses are not affected by the weather and don’t create haziness as gasses do in a cold environment
- Lenses allow you to see more of a view and do not cause any disruptions or unclearness in bright environments, unlike glasses.
Disadvantages of Lenses
- Inserting the lens into your eye can be a challenging task and can take time, so you have to be careful.
- You have to clean your lenses every day with a lens solution. Some of these solutions are expensive.
- Lenses may cause you a lot of dryness, especially in closed environments, as lenses inhibit oxygen from reaching your eyes.
- Lenses may cause redness or itchiness in your eyes, especially after prolonged exposure to computer or phone screens.
- You cannot sleep with your lenses on as they can cause immense discomfort to your eyes once you wake up. Hence, you have to take your lenses off before sleeping.
Eyeglasses are another choice to help you to see clearer, especially if you have extremely weak eyesight. Eyeglasses come in different shapes and sizes and are considered one of the best and easiest ways to see properly. Mentioned below are a few advantages and disadvantages of wearing glasses:
Advantages of Glasses
- Eyeglasses do not cause any direct harm to your eyes such as dryness or irritation.
- Eyeglasses are typically cheaper compared to lenses.
- Glasses act as a barrier during extreme weather conditions and prevent any kind of dirt or dust from getting into your eye.
- There are fewer chances of getting an eye infection compared to when wearing lenses.
- Glasses sometimes also add to your body features and giving it a fashionable look.
- Once you start wearing glasses, it becomes harder to see clearly without glasses.
- If you have extremely weak eyesight, you might have to wear thick glasses that can make your eyes look big and change your appearance.
- Sometimes it gets difficult to focus on an object as your peripheral vision may slowly start to get worse.
What Should You Wear?
At the end of the day, it is your decision to choose whether to wear lenses or glasses because you will have to deal with the effects. Both lenses and glasses have good and bad features, but ultimately the choice of which solution is best is up to you.