According to reliable research, vision loss makes up the top 10 disabilities registered amongst adults in North America. You can however, promote the health of your delicate eyes by consuming some of the best foods that help in vision improvement. Apart from these foods helping to improve your vision and prevent various eye conditions, they would also be beneficial to your overall health. According to experts, consumption of foods rich in nutrients like Omega 3 fatty acids, lutein, lycopene and others help to significantly reduce the risk of macular degeneration, among other eye conditions.
So, if you are looking for those healthy foods that would not only nourish your body but also prevent certain eye defects, they are as follows:
- Oysters: This is a good source of zinc, which lack of it is known to contribute to poor or impaired vision, mostly at night or with cloudy cataracts. For adults who are 50 and above, the consumption of oysters would help in slowing the continued progression of age-related macular degeneration. Lobster and salmon are also good sources of zinc.
- Sweet Potatoes: When it comes to veggies that are rich in nutrients that help improve the eyesight, sweet potatoes are at the top of the list. Adding some carrots into the mix makes it even healthier and yummier.
- Apricots: Ever heard of those carotenoids that help in the promotion of good health, lycopene and beta carotene? They are mostly found in apricots. The human body is known to convert the beta carotene found in apricots into vitamin A. This in turn, helps the human body to resist any damage to the body’s cells and tissues. If damage is done to the vessels that supply blood to the eyes, it mostly leads to macular degeneration and one of the ways to avoid this is by consuming more apricots for lycopene and beta carotene.
- Leafy Greens: This includes collards, spinach, and kale. These leafy greens are known to contain high amounts of zeaxanthin and lutein, antioxidants that are known to help the body maintain very healthy cells and protect them as well. Add their vitamin A content into the benefits and you will not need any excuse to consume these greens.
- Eggs: Eggs contain a lot of nutrients that are known to promote good eye health. This includes Omega 3 fatty acids, zinc, and lutein. Various research has shown that the human body absorbs the antioxidants derived from eggs better that it does from apricots and leafy vegetables.
These are some of the top best foods for your delicate eyes. However, there will always be the need for these foods to be consumed in moderation even as you aim towards improved eye health. Peanut butter, sunflower seeds, wheat germ, and almonds are also good options for obtaining the right nutrients towards improving your eye health.